Our Ministries

"For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45 For most people, the word ministry calls to mind ordained persons – bishops, priests and deacons. In fact, the word ministry has a far broader reference than merely to the ordained. Its essential meaning originates in baptisms. It pertains to every Christian person. Ministry is the activity of the entire body of Christ. Each person has a special ministry, shaped to fit the given reality of that person’s life. At St. James’ there are many opportunities to minister inside and outside of the parish.

Sunday School is provided for children aged between pre-school & the 8th grade.

Classes are held at 10:15 am the first three Sundays of the month.

Lay Pastoral Care is support to our sisters and brothers in Christ as they continue their journeys in faith. This support responds to the spiritual, emotional, and physical needs of others.

St. James’ Parish participates in many outreach programs, including:
* The Goshen Ecumenical Pantry
* Community Dinners
* Relay for Life Cancer Walk
* And so much more!

 Our Story

Our Story

St. James' history is a long and rich one. Episcopal services were first held in Goshen in 1793. Ten years later, on July 25, 1803, a group of people formed the corporation of St. James' Church, which was then admitted into the Episcopal Diocese of New York headed by its first Bishop, The Right Reverend Samuel Provost. The first wood frame church was built around 1804 on land donated by the family of Dr. John Gale. In 1850 the Vestry resolved to build a new Church to represent the architectural tastes of the day for solid and substantial public buildings. The Vestry sought the architectural services of New York architects Frank Wills and Henry Dudley. Frank Wills was a leading figure in the Gothic Revival Movement, which had begun in England in the 1830's. At the time that the plans were drawn up, Wills was firmly associated with the Ecclesiastical Society, centered at The General Theological Seminary in New York City. The guiding principles of the society were to promote the 14th century rural English Gothic Church as the ideal model for American Church Architecture. St. James' fits this model exactly. The church is an altar-centered worship space with an elevated and recessed sanctuary, Gothic arches, wall buttresses and a steeply pitched slate roof. St James' flat topped tower is typical of English country churches. The stained glass windows represent a diversity of styles, periods and makers. The present church of stone in the English Gothic country style built in 1853 has been in continuous use for over 150 years. In addition to the church, a Chapel of matching stone was built in 1869,presumably for winter and weekday services. In 1890 it was de-consecrated as a Chapel for Sunday School use. For many years it served as a Parish Hall until a new addition was added in 1961. The Parish House, blessed in February 1961 by the Right Reverend Charles F. Boynton, Suffragan Bishop of New York, contains a meeting hall, kitchen, two classrooms, the parish office, a common room, and the Rector's office. It is connected to the church proper at each side of the rear of the church and surrounds a cloister garden, which provides a columbarium. On December 27, 2002, a fire broke out in the Nursery Room of the 1869 Chapel building. The Goshen Fire Department quickly extinguished the fire and thankfully saved the rest of the church building. It was determined that the probable cause of the fire was old and out of date wiring. The Parish has recently restored the Chapel which is once again a worship space.

Our Clergy

Reverend M. Carl Lunden
Reverend M. Carl Lunden
Rector
Reverend Deacon Thomas Mark Liotta
Reverend Deacon Thomas Mark Liotta
Minister of Music

Our Worship Times, Office Hours & Location

Come Inside & See What We Are All About

Latest News